Controlling weeds with "membrane"

Topic author
leadstay
Bahamas

Controlling weeds with "membrane"

Post by leadstay » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:16 pm

I am taking over a garden plot that has not been tended properly for a year or two. Consequently it has a weed problem.

Part of it is covered in carpet and this has controlled the weeds.

I am looking to use some kind of membrane or covering to suppress the weeds in the same way as the carpet has.

Note: I want to cover the surface and be able to plant through it for at least a while.

Also I am NOT going to use any mulch or any other covering on top of any membrane substance.

So this must be a covering that blocks out all light itself without needing to be covered.

Can anyone please advise me as to a suitable material to use that will satisfy all these conditions.

denchiro
United States of America

Post by denchiro » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:07 pm

My friend likes to go to different strange exhibitions and she definitely needs support... Recently she was draging me to an exhibition of oriental rugs. I thought it would be incredibly boring, but it wasn't so bad. We were told a little about the technique of making carpets and the history of their occurrence. It's quite fascinating, though it seems very eccentric, so never be afraid to be interested in things that seem strange at first glance, because they can be really interesting.

calvin85
Turkey

Post by calvin85 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:34 pm

My wife and I have a very large garden, and dealing with weeds in it can be overwhelming. This year we decided to use weed barrier cloth between rows, to limit the area where weeds can grow. We've used weed barrier cloth on a smaller scale previously, around melon plants, but had never tried using it on a large scale. This is a great product - much heavier and sturdier than any weed cloth I've seen before, so it should last for several seasons, and it's more reasonably priced than other, lighter-weight barriers. If you're using it where there is existing turf (our garden is surrounded by pastures, and the grass spreads across it every winter), you'll need to till first. And get a good supply of sturdy ground staples. I know that there is a good review website https://bestyardproducts.com/ for checking information about garden product. We're looking forward to a much more manageable garden this year!

Forexmart